Saturday, May 30, 2015

06/09/2015 00:00:00 Stories from the Ancestors - Collage by Vivian Felsen Downtown Free


City of Toronto All Events http://ift.tt/1FhZI8W Artist Vivian Felsen writes: The stories by Kazuyohsi Takayama, a professor of physics who lives in Sendai, Japan, were written for his granddaughter, Chisé. He began writing these stories in Japanese when Chisé was three years old. She is now 13. In September, 2014, he sent me an email explaining that he had begun translating the stories, over thirty of them, from Japan into English, and asking me to correct his English. I agreed to do this. Not long afterward, having heard my enthusiastic retelling of the first couple of stories, Deborah Harris encouraged me to respond to them with art work. The collages exhibited here are the result of that conversation. They are a work in progress, as I have yet to read the last ten stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment